Should you water after aerating your lawn? The answer to that is YES. However, there are other things you need to do after aerating first. Actually, after you have followed all the steps which will be discussed in this article, you definitely need to water the lawn. For the first 2 – 3 weeks after aerating, your lawn should be watered daily – or maybe more than once daily if needed. This is a critical growth phase for your new grass, and you want to hydrate the roots for optimal development. Once the seeds germinate and the grass is sprouting, you can go back to watering as usual ( 2 – 3 times per week or as needed, depending on rain and the moisture level of the soil).
What to Do After Aerating Your Lawn
After aerating your lawn, it does not look pretty. Don’t worry – this is the first good step to a greener, more beautiful lawn. The following are some tips on what to do after aerating:
- Leave the soil plugs on your lawn to decompose and filter back into the holes left by aerating
- Apply fertilizer immediately after aerating (or as soon as possible – definitely within or before 48 hours). This puts nutrients into the grassroots.
- Reseed the lawn, especially where the grass is thin.
- Then – WATER. As stated above, you should water daily (or more than once daily) but not too long at one time. You do not want to soak the lawn at this point, but you do want to keep it moist.
- It is best not to walk on the lawn any more than absolutely necessary. Walking on the lawn after aerating will compact the soil and make it more difficult for the